What is Bipolar Disorder?
Bipolar disorder can make your mood change dramatically from extreme highs (mania) to extreme lows (depression). The changes in mood can be overwhelming and distressing. But you may feel well between these periods. Previously called manic depression, it can affect all aspects of your life including work and relationships. When you’re experiencing manic highs and lows, the symptoms can be severe. You could experience changes in energy levels and to the way you act.
You’re more likely to be diagnosed with bipolar disorder between 16-24 years old, but it can affect anyone at any age. Bipolar disorder can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms can be similar to psychosis and depression.
The high and low phases of bipolar disorder are often so extreme that they interfere with everyday life. But there are several options for treating bipolar disorder that can make a difference. They aim to control the effects of an episode and help someone with bipolar disorder live life as normally as possible.
Dr Behzad Basit is an experienced Psychiatrist who helps patients with Bipolar Disorder. With his medical career starting in 1988, Dr Basit been described by patients and colleagues as very approachable and can help patients experiencing problems with mood changes. His background in general practice, psychiatry and psychotherapy enables him to take a holistic approach in the assessment and management of patients.
We invite you to learn more about Bipolar Disorder.
To book a consultation with Dr Behzad Basit, please complete our contact form here.
Source: Mental Health UK
Dr Behzad Basit Professional Qualifications
- Medical Doctoral (MD), Tehran University of Medical Sciences
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, UK (MRCPsych)
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, School of Medicine, Imperial College London
- Honorary Visiting Associate, The Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King’s College London
- Postgraduate Diploma in Mental Health Studies (University of Kent)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Healthcare Management (Manchester Business School) Trained in Cognitive Analytic Therapy