What are the causes of Bipolar Disorder?
Bipolar disorder can make your mood change dramatically from extreme highs (mania) to extreme lows (depression). The changes in mood can be overwhelming and distressing. But you may feel well between these periods. Previously called manic depression, it can affect all aspects of your life including work and relationships. When you’re experiencing manic highs and lows, the symptoms can be severe. You could experience changes in energy levels and to the way you act.
Genetics – 9% of people who have a close family member with bipolar disorder will develop it themselves. The risk is higher if both of your parents or if your twin lives with bipolar disorder
Chemical imbalance – Chemicals in our brains affect our moods and behaviours. Too much or too little of these chemicals can lead to mania or depression.
Environmental factors – Stressful or traumatic events, such as childhood abuse, can make the chances of developing depressive episodes higher and trigger symptoms of bipolar disorder.
Dr Behzad Basit is an experienced Psychiatrist who helps patients with Bipolar Disorder. With his medical career starting in 1988, Dr Basit been described by patients and colleagues as very approachable and can help patients experiencing problems with mood changes. His background in general practice, psychiatry and psychotherapy enables him to take a holistic approach in the assessment and management of patients.
We invite you to learn more about Bipolar Disorder.
To book a consultation with Dr Behzad Basit, please complete our contact form here.
Source: Mental Health UK
Dr Behzad Basit Professional Qualifications
- Medical Doctoral (MD), Tehran University of Medical Sciences
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, UK (MRCPsych)
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, School of Medicine, Imperial College London
- Honorary Visiting Associate, The Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King’s College London
- Postgraduate Diploma in Mental Health Studies (University of Kent)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Healthcare Management (Manchester Business School) Trained in Cognitive Analytic Therapy